- SW stands for shortwave and it is a radio signal transmission that sends signals through reflections from the sky.
- The SW transmitter aims radio signals at a layer in the sky known as the ionosphere that reflects the signals back to earth.
- This process allows the broadcasting of radio signals across large distances across the world.
- SW is also known as skywave because the sky is involved in the process.
- Despite not being popular with radio stations, the shortwave band is useful in military signal systems.
Also read: What does MW mean in radio?