- AMOLED stands for Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diodes.
- Samsung extensively uses AMOLED screens and pioneered their usage on Smartphones.
- The functioning of the AMOLED screen resembles that of a TFT screen in that each pixel has its own lighting.
- In AMOLED display the pixels themselves are independent Organic Light Emitting Diodes.
- This means that for the screen to assume black color, the individual diodes are turned off.
- In the Galaxy S series, for instance, very little/negligible power is used in lock screen mode because almost all pixels/diodes are off.
- AMOLED can turn off pixels that are supposed to display the black portions of an image, making the black as dark as it can be.
Also read: What is TFT Display in Mobile Phones and How Does it Work?